wind to thy wings~

Monday, January 28, 2008

I just finished the book "The Innocent Man" by John Grisham. The last few pages left me with my vision blurred and tears dripping off my cheeks. But. I didn't like the book at first. Much as I knew it was a factual recount albeit written by a fiction writer, I didn't quite like the style of his writing in this book. Completely different from the norm. And absolutely detached.


It was difficult reading it because facts were piled upon facts. A summary of the entire encounter. No story-telling skills. No emotion-tweaker. No tears-inducer.


And the book excelled precisely in the way it presented everything in facts. Uncoloured. Though highlighted. It would have been an absolute bore to read. But the truth was compelling. Horrifying. And captivating. (And that was why the last few pages were so painful to read.)


Which struck me as to why an innocent man was put through so much trouble and trauma when it was obvious the faults in his trial and the criminal justice system. The facts were staring at everyone.


Yet the determination to nail a crime to a "random" suspect won over.


And made Ron Williamson undergo much unnecessary torture. At the expense of taxpayers.


Ok I might be slow in picking up this story. And in picking up this book (bought it before prelims and kept it in its cover until only recently). But the book is so chilling in that it is a true story.


Ok I don't know what to say. I'm left speechless.


(Who wants to borrow this book? Just keep in mind the Zhi Xu's library rules :P)


--


I realise I can find strength.


In cherishing hope, keeping faith, surrounded by love and blessed with a bit of luck :)


Someone recently asked me whether it was true I liked four-leaf clovers a lot.


--


So Mr Barack Obama won the South Hampshire Democratic primary. I wonder whether it is truly good news for him. With overwhelming support by the black population in South Hampshire, the Democratic race for the Presidential nomination is becoming increasingly polarised along racial lines. And it would make it difficult for him to win the nomination in states with fewer blacks should he continue to play for black votes.


Super Tuesday would be highly interesting to follow.


--


Why did I start commenting on American politics. -.-


Some replies to tags:
suwan: I look forward to dancing with you again soon baby :) Meanwhile, take care of yourself and stay cheery :)
zhu hui: Oh gosh the smile all the time line sounds like aster. I miss you very very much! When are you coming back!
nikki: so is outing on saturday confirmed?? yesyesyes?


--


My super quiet class astounded me today by the cacophony they created. Faints.


Tutorial is becoming difficult to teach. Very hard for me not to stray into other topics because stoichiometry is so basic and essential to all subjects that it actually builds on knowledge from other chapters taught later in the syllabus. I hope I didn't repeatedly lose my class(es) today.


Ahhh and lectures are going too slowly for tutorials. Oh well. There's the CNY break soon! And a lot of marking to do after CNY :S Silly me for wanting them to hand in their _optional_ work :P



wishing wind to thy wings at 6:28 PM
c0mments

Post a Comment